Monday, August 18, 2014

It's always darkest before the dawn

Music has become quite the presence in my daily life, I have playlists I use according to the day or my mood...or both.  I even have a sleep playlist which made my niece giggle since her baby has a sleep playlist as well.  I told her we can all be babies from time to time.  I find there is no end date on that matter just as there is no end date for the need of music one's life.

Today, for example, is Monday and the ability to fight the day's battles could not happen without the proper swords songs.  Hence and as a direct consequence of it being Monday, I have a playlist that deals with empowerment.  Pink is on blast with Blow Me (One Last Kiss) as I type this.  I am alone and that is why I can sing at the top of my lungs.  There is no one here to judge.  The playlist skips to a song that grabs my attention.  Even though I can in no way sing like her,  Florence from Florence + The Machine invites me to stop dragging that horse around.  I have heard this song before, but I have not actually *listened* to it.  I admire the song's  ability to interpret such universal truths in less than five minutes.

I have learned that Mondays can repeat themselves when you are finding your way. I have learned that the calendar marches in all kinds of directions and that time is like a Salvador Dali painting. In the transition from what used to be to what may be, I have learned what the song states: It's always darkest before the dawn.

Music though can be that honest conversation you have with yourself when no one is around. So as I face the dragons that occupy my mind at the present moment, I am well armed.


No comments:

Post a Comment